Volunteering is about giving your time and skills, without pay, for the benefit of others, the local community and very importantly yourself!
Human beings are hard-wired to give to others. The more we give, the happier we feel, the better we feel about ourselves, the more likely we are to have a positive view of life and our future goals.
Benefits of volunteering:
- Not only enriches the lives of others, it can also improve your physical and mental wellbeing
- Is a great way to meet like-minded people, have fun, keep you connected and give something back to your local community.
- Is a good way to use your existing skills, learn new ones, and gives you experience that you can build on for your CV, which provides a natural sense of accomplishment.
- Increases your self-confidence that you can use in all aspects of your life.
- Provides a sense of purpose, pride and identity.
The Volunteer role Kettering Mind is a user-led organisation and the activities / groups facilitated are based on what is wanted or needed, and dependent upon transferrable skills that volunteers, members and workers already have, and are willing to use. The volunteer role includes listening, supporting and encouraging individuals to feel empowered.
The underpinning aim of the volunteer role is to empower individuals to gain:
Improved resilience and skills for self-management
Improved mental health and emotional well-being
For individuals to feel there is hope, control and opportunity within their life
Volunteers will be based at Kettering Mind and may be involved in:
- Peer support activities and games e.g. board games, connect four, dominoes, pool, chess or cards, quizzes, discussions etc.
- Creative afternoons or wellbeing discussions etc.
- Baking or cooking sessions
- Supporting staff and members prepare and serve food within the centre and Mixing Bowl
- Fundraising activities
Who can apply?
Anyone. If you are passionate about helping those who experience mental and are suitable for a position we will welcome you as a volunteer.
How do I apply?
- Download a volunteer application form and return the completed form to us via email, post or drop it into Reception.
- Call Us to request a volunteer application form; we are more than happy to post or email this out to you.
- Visit Us Our Mixing Bowl is an information point which serves light refreshments. Drop in to find out more about our services and collect a volunteer application form in person.